Empty PARCHG file

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

KWH
License Nr.: 5-1063

Empty PARCHG file

#1 Post by KWH » Tue Oct 15, 2024 1:01 am

I have run into a strange problem. I am trying to create a PARCHG file for STM viewing and the File is large and mostly empty. The out file ends with:
NBMOD is set to -3
Selected energy range (EINT) -1.9992 -1.8992
Selected all k-points to calculate charge density.
k-point no. 1; bands inside the range 0

But a plot of the DOS clearly shows that there are many states in that energy interval. If I increase the k points to 2 2 1, about 4 bands (out of 1000) are reported.

What am I doing wrong here?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Empty PARCHG file

#2 Post by fabien_tran1 » Tue Oct 15, 2024 8:29 am

Hi,

According to the info printed at the beginning of your OUTCAR, the energy range that you selected is "EINT = -0.35 -0.25". These values are with respect to the Fermi energy (see NBMOD), which gives [-1.9992 -1.8992] if the Fermi energy (-1.649 eV) is added. Could you please upload the OUTCAR of the SCF calculation on your system to see if there are states in the interval [-1.9992 -1.8992]? This can be deduced by looking at the orbitals energies printed below

Code: Select all

k-point     1 :       0.0000    0.0000    0.0000
  band No.  band energies     occupation 

Note that looking at the DOS can be misleading because of the broadening that is applied to the DOS.

KWH

#3 Post by KWH » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:16 pm

You are exactly right. There are no bands with that energy in that region. How can I fix this? Will increasing the number of bands work? Is the only option using a larger bias range even though I am using voltages outside the experimental region?

Thank you for your help!

KW

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KWH

#4 Post by KWH » Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:18 pm

Would increasing the number of k points also increase the density of energies calculated near E-Fermi?

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by fabien_tran1 » Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:50 am

In general, using more k points leads to broader energy bands. However, in your case the system is already quite large such that using more k points may not change that much the width of the energy bands.

Probably even more important is the choice of the functional, which may influence quite a lot the position of the energy bands. However, one should also not forget that DFT does not provide orbitals energies that have a direct physical interpretation.

michael_wolloch
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by michael_wolloch » Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:12 am

Dear KWH,

I have another small comment. It may indeed be necessary to adjust the bias voltage to different values compared to the experiment. I would try a couple of different ranges, keep track of how many and which bands contribute, and check how your simulated STM picture evolves with the changes. It will help you understand the system better and hopefully give you enough information to reproduce the experiment qualitatively. This is often enough to interpret the experimental STM image correctly.

For quantitative results, you might need to switch the functional or change other settings to reproduce the experimental band structure more accurately.

Cheers, Michael

KWH

#7 Post by KWH » Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:21 pm

Thank you Michael. Very helpful. One last question: How is the broadening determined when the DOS and PDOS are plotted?

michael_wolloch
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by michael_wolloch » Thu Oct 17, 2024 8:23 am

How the broadening is determined depends a lot on how you plot your DOS ;)
What script or program are you using?
Cheers, M

KWH

#9 Post by KWH » Thu Oct 17, 2024 9:19 pm

p4vasp v0.3.20r1

michael_wolloch
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by michael_wolloch » Fri Oct 18, 2024 9:42 am

Hi again,

p4vasp does not add any broadening as far as I know. But I spoke to some colleagues and I think I understood the issue.

You use Fermi smearing (ISMEAR=-1) with the default SIGMA of 0.2. This alone will lead to a quite significant broadening of states in the DOS. The broadening will be reduced if you change your smearing to Gaussian (ISMEAR=0) and/or reduce your smearing width.

The charge postprocessing using LPARD ignores the smearing completely and works by manipulating the Fermi weights of the orbitals. Selected states will receive Fermi weight 1, and all others will be set to 0.
Thus, even if you see states in your DOS at the experimental bias voltage range, your settings do not guarantee that they will show up in the PARCHG file.

Let me know if this solves your problems and this topic can be locked.
Cheers, Michael