Which potential energy should be used in thermodynamic integration

Queries about input and output files, running specific calculations, etc.

Moderators: Global Moderator, Moderator

xiancai

Which potential energy should be used in thermodynamic integration

#1 Post by xiancai » Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:42 am

Dear VASP developers,
I am trying to use the keyword SCALEE to perform thermodynamic integration from the ideal gas reference to the fully interacting system. I understand that I should use the unscaled potential energy to calculate the free energy difference. Following the detailed guidance in your publication titled “Melting Si: Beyond Density Functional Theory” published in Physical Review Letters, I used Fermi-Dirac smearing with SIGMA=kBT to account for the electronic entropy. Therefore, as shown in the following figure, VASP outputs three different potential energies (i.e., free energy TOTEN, energy without entropy, and energy (sigma->0)). I am wondering which one should be used to calculate the free energy difference? Thank you for your time!
Sincerely,
Tian Hua

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fabien_tran1
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Which potential energy should be used in thermodynamic integration

#2 Post by fabien_tran1 » Mon Oct 07, 2024 2:52 pm

Hi,

This is the free energy that has to be used (the value printed next to "free energy TOTEN"). You may have a look at Sec. I of the supplemental material of the PRL that you mentioned.

xiancai

Re: Which potential energy should be used in thermodynamic integration

#3 Post by xiancai » Wed Oct 09, 2024 9:36 am

Dear Dr. Tran,

Thank you very much for your reply. In the supplemental material of the PRL, the relevant text states, “the electronic entropy is therefore consistently included in the energy in all ab initio calculations (in VASP this means using the reported electronic ‘free energies’).” I personally suggest explicitly mentioning the use of “free energy TOTEN” in the wiki for the SCALEE and VCAIMAGES tags.

Sincerely,
Tian Hua